The Sanskrit meaning of mandala is circle. The circle is symbol of perfection, eternity, unity and completeness.
The mandala occurs to us in all aspects of life, the Sun, the Earth, the Moon and the most obviously the cycles of life friends, family, communities. Its circular notion represents that life is never ending.
Mandalas are used for meditation purposes allowing the individual to become one with the universe. There are not many who can achieve this state of mind just by studying mandala.
They can be created to symbolize the journey through life or in some cases it can reveal the individual’s path in life. Groups can create mandala to reveal what they should do to grow and develop as a group.
Mandalas tattoos are the way for spiritual people to express they love of sacred geometry, balance and love. Mandalas are often created in the way that resembles the petals of the flower opening so they are sometimes called Flowers of Life.
Many of the artists are using dot work to add texture to their design which adds extra level of visual interest to it. Mandala animal tattoos combine the meaning of mandalas with totem of animals. Those animals often represent person’s personality and act as a spiritual guide. The most popular animal totem tattoos include lion, owl, elephant or eagles.
The design of mandala is supposed to be visually appealing so it allow absorb the mind from any negative and irritating thoughts which in turn allows individual a higher consciousness or awareness, almost as through being hypnotised. This allows the busy mind to take a break and allows the creative one to run free.
Each person who observes a mandala will have a different experience. There is a symbolic meaning for a colour choice to create mandala.
- Red – for strength, high energy and passion. It’s an energy colour for life and healing, evoking fire and deep burning emotions. It screams actions.
- Pink – for love, intuition and the feminine
- Orange- for the creativity, transformation, self-awareness and intuition. Shows the most warmth, intensity and fire, a pride colour adds self awareness.
- Yellow – for learning, wisdom, laughter and happiness. Colour of light warmth and the sun. It’s a source of light.
- Green – for physical healing, psychic ability, love of nature and caring. Part of nature and represents health, grow and renewal. Green also relate to the hart chakra along with pink.
- Blue – for emotional healing, inner peace and meditation. Express unfailing love, serenity and relaxation. It is calming colour full of compassion and depth. Turquoise blue represents truth, articulation and communication and is associated with throat chakra.
- Purple- for all the things spiritual. Colour of life, vivid in intensity. It represents royalty and authority as well as intuition.
- White – for spiritual focus. It’s a symbol of light, purity and innocence, represents divinity.
- Black – for mystery, deep thinking and individuality.
The shapes inside mandala also contain meaning. The most popular are circles, spirals, triangles and squares. Flowers as a whole represent our consciousness, however each type of flower is symbolic of qualities such wisdom, purity, kindness, perseverance, love, friendship etc. Spirals convey growth and learning. They bring a different perspective and represent change. The triangle is uniquely associated with dreams, goals and vision. The square is stable and solid, showing security and a foundation of ideas the square represents the building process. The brief understanding mandala is by no means complete. The true meaning is specific to the individual.
So I decided to draw my own mandala and to be honest I was surprised with final effect. on the beginning I tried to control the drawing, battling my daily thoughts and worries but then i got to point when I start concentrating on each line so it wasn’t shaky and that was a moment I switch off, had no idea what’s going on around me, got lost in time. Actually find myself shaking from cold (as heating switched off hours ago) at 3 o’clock in the morning. The more i looked it the more detail i put it till i reach the point when I was happy with it. I finished my drawing next day, minutes before my telephone job interview. Wasn’t prepared for it but in the same time I didn’t feel stressed at all and pretty surprised with my answers. They probably were too as I got through the next stage. But what is really important to me I started have more and more creative ideas. So I decided to draw more of them if you want you can check them on in art section of my page, or if you want different stages of the process follow me on instagram.
Mandala tattoos are great choice for someone who lives deep, spiritual life. Due to their geometric nature, tattoos containing mandalas look the best on flatter parts of body such as chest or back. All in all, the best decision when designing mandala tattoo is choice of colours, shapes, symbols that have special meaning to you.
Hope you enjoyed reading about it, and if you decide on mandala tattoo it clears your mind which design to go for.